For two years, Katwesige Janet Wamara has worked as Redearth’s Project Manager, training, monitoring and supporting teachers in the organisation’s strive towards sustainable teaching practices and professional development.
I am 37 years old with a certificate and diploma in Primary Education, and a certificate and diploma in Project Planning and Management. I am single with two sons, 9 years old and 8 months old. My mum is a retired primary head teacher, my dad is a commercial farmer but a secondary teacher by profession and also did some good politics in the district some years back.
Before joining Red Earth Education, I worked as a primary teacher, at the level of Senior Education Assistance and Deputy, teaching Mathematics, English and sometimes Science revision to P.5 to P.7 students. I also headed several departments such as the Environment conservation club, debate, assistant in music training, the Mathematics department and NGO programmes. In addition to this, I was a district examiner, marking English. As Redearth Project Manager, I oversee a team of field officers who visit schools to implement Redearth activities. My responsibilities include:
- Organising and conducting central trainings, such as reading, Gold structure lesson training for Silver level teachers and revision training for upper primary teachers.
- Supporting schools in trainings in methodology, learning environment, behavior management, pupil engagement, resource making, brain breaks, lesson pace.
- Co-teaching with teachers in the schools that Redearth support and demonstrating lessons.
- Classroom arrangement and control in schools.
- Lesson observations and providing feedback to teachers.
- Holding meetings with the directors, staff, lead teachers and teachers in schools that Redearth support.
- Organising board meetings.
- Dealing with Accounts, making requisitions, balancing accounts and reporting to Edward, our M&E officer.
- Coordinating Red Earth with other partner NGOs, like STiR and URDT by communicating from both sides.
- Attending workshops by Red Earth and other partner NGOs.
- Carrying out assessment both baseline survey, mid-year and end of year, in reading and Achievement Award programmes
- Reporting to Red Earth and the TACLE board.
Written by Project Manager Katwesige Janet Wamara.